Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Mar 2003 03:13:59 -0600
From:         caryccc <caryccc@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: window tint
Comments: To: John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>

John: You seem to be very knowledgeable about window tint. I am concerned with high privacy / high transparancy first, and heat reduction second. (even though my AC has never worked) I understand why a metal spluttered type of film is more effective at reflecting heat and / or UV rays than just a normal tint film. However, I wonder if a darker tint is actually better at keeping a van cooler temperature-wise than a lighter tint. I suspect that a darker color would absorb more light rays (and therefore more heat). I think people may believe darker = better because they associate a dark car interior with lower temp.; in other words, a false logic of it simply "looking" cooler. I have asked around at several tint shops, but cannot get any definitive answers regarding darker actually reducing interior temps. Years ago, an intelligent person told me that non-tinted windows were better, because the UV rays that penetrated thru the glass could likewise exit almost as freely, but that a tinted window (which reflects most but not all UV rays) ultimately traps more UV (and therefore more heat) inside, because the UV that enters the car has greater difficulty reflecting back out of the interior. I like the privacy of a dark tint, but find that I can't see out at night when I need to back up, park, etc. I have tried to find the old-fashioned mirror-type tint, which satisfies the day privacy / night visibiliy issue, but apparently it is no longer for sale in FLAPS.

I have heard about a window tint test done by a university somewhere in the Southwest (AZ?): Two identical model cars with the same interior and exterior color were parked in the sun. One had dark tint, the other light (or no) tint. After 4-5 hours, both cars supposedly had the same interior temperature. Have you or anyone else heard of this experiment? Has anyone actually measured the interior temperature difference before and after tinting their windows? Anybody with tinted and non-tinted windows vans want to try the above experiment? Maybe Pop-top versus passenger metal roof? Any ideas or comments on these issures are appreciated!

Cary