Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Mar 2003 19:42:01 -0500
From:         Jon <jon@FOREIGNAUTOSUPPLY.COM>
Subject:      Golf/ jetta auto trans can be used with vanagon diffs
Comments: cc: VWNut Hawk <vwnut@HAWKCOMPUTING.COM>

The automatic portion of any '85-'92 golf / jetta will mate the differential of any vanagon air or water automatic transmission. The casting part# on both automatic trans portions are identical. When you buy a clutch kit for either automatic, you get the same kit. Differences: You must swap out and re-use the reverse planetary gear portion from the vanagon(very easy with both out front of you on the floor). The vanagon 8mmx1.25 studs that mate the auto portion to the diff. are shorter and need to be changed **Bentley gives a real nice description. Only a few '90-'92 golf /Jetta tranny's came with oil coolers, So you can try and find one, however, much more expensive... I always use the regular ones without and leave the cooler lines attached to the cooler and secure it in, because you'll have no bolt holes on the Golf /Jetta trany's to thread them into. I've been told by many you can't do this. They may be right, however, they also told me they'd never actually tried it. We've done 8 here that have over 50,000 miles on since the change and one with over 132,000 and counting. The valve body is different internally (spring tension) but can be swapped either way. I think the optimum is to use the golf/jetta valve body; they seem to shift so much smoother and at a more useful RPM range. Either way the shift linkage must be changed (real easy) and you have to drop valve body to get to it. We decided to try it on our own first, years ago after pricing used vanagon auto's. The golf / Jettas are cheap with low mileage at bone yards ($175.00- $375.00) I do suggest changing all necessary gaskets ,seals and O rings when assembling even if fluid is pink...that's usually the only reason these trannys fail mostly---the deteroration of these items I just mentioned above allows ATF fluid(dexronIII) to "swap spit" with the diff. fluid(gear oil)contaminating the clutches and then the mess begins from there. The first swap took 1 1/2hrs after a few now 25mins with a bentley manual right handy.---- Hopefully I won't get as much heat from this posting----If you need more info or part #'s let me know ---Jon ----- Original Message ----- From: "VWNut Hawk" <vwnut@HAWKCOMPUTING.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2003 8:12 AM Subject: Can Jetta auto transmissions be used on some Vanagons?