Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Mar 2003 04:33:57 -0600
From:         caryccc <caryccc@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diff lock in a 2wd
Comments: To: Jeff K <kennedy@THERIVER.COM>

How about these ideas for mounting a cable-actuator:

Build a " [ " shaped bracket, and drill holes thru it so that it can be attached to the tranny housing via the original vacuum actuator mounting screws.

Mount a bellcrank near one corner of the bracket.

Attach the cable to one leg of the bellcrank, and have the other leg contact the exposed end of the diff lock actuator rod (or "button"). When the cable is pulled, the other end of the bellcrank arm pushes in on the rod, actuating the diff lock. Releasing the cable would allow the actuator rod to pop out on its own. There is a spring inside the tranny that will force this to happen (a safety feature, so that if one loses vacuum with the original system, the diff-lock automatically dis-engages).

Some additional thoughts--

A more positive release system might be desirable, rather than relying only on the internal rod release spring to release the diff-lock. Maybe instead of using a stranded cable, a solid wire (similar to our vanagon ventilation control cables) would be better. The bellcrank arm that touches the rod could be attached to it via the drift pin or its hole that is already present in the actuating rod. This would allow both a pull and push movement on the actuator rod.

The original actuator operates at low vacuum, and has "give" to it, which is no doubt necessary when engaging the diff-lock, to prevent mechanical damage. Perhaps incorporating a coil spring between the cable and bellcrank would duplicate the flexibility of the vacuum system?

Another idea--use an electric servo, perhaps mounted directly to the tranny housing as above, and pushing the actuator rod in and out (if you can match the throw of the servo to that of the of the actuator rod).

These are only ideas, and I haven't looked at my diff-lock components in awhile. There could be space and clearance issues. The whole point of this exercise was to devise a cheaper, simpler system, as opposed to obtaining new ($$$) or junk yard vacuum switch & actuator, tank, one way valves, etc.

Good night.

Cary

----- Original Message ----- From: Jeff K <kennedy@THERIVER.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 9:38 AM Subject: Re: Diff lock in a 2wd

I didn't do any housing mods, personally. Daryl at AA transaxle took care of all that. It's just a recycled housing from a syncro tranny, I believe.

The way the Diff lock works is that there's a "button" on the outside of the housing, fore of the starter. Push the button in to turn on the locker, out is off. I bought the factory vacuum actuator from Derek Drew (about $75). Its connected to the "button" via a pin, and pushes it in or out when vacuum is applied to one of two ports. I think you would be hard pressed to make it work with a cable - you wouldn't be able to make it push the "button" in. I wish I had taken some pictures during the install, but alas, I didn't. Maybe some pics of the vacuum valves someday...

Other than this "button", there's really no difference between the housings for the transmissions. For those asking about this option in an automatic, I'd have no idea, you'd have to ask for Daryl - who was very helpful, I would recommend him without reservations.

Jeff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Knight" <bill.knight@USA.NET>