Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Mar 2003 23:57:15 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Power plans and questions
Comments: To: Mark Belanger <belanger@FLUID.COM>

Is the device a secret? It would easier for us to help if we know what it is and how long you need to use it. The cab lights and light in the back of the Westy is actually feed from the front fuse box. Fuse #3 I think. The two fuses near the sink cabinet are for the refrigerator, water pump, and control panel. One is connected to the switched side of the relay so that it is energized only when the alternator is charging. The relay actually uses the idiot light circuit for the alternator. The ground for the relay is provided through the starter solenoid. I guess the plan was to also disable the relay while the engine was cranking. Of I've never seen the alternator energize while before the engine actually started anyway! This provides power for the refrigerator 12v heating coil. The other wire is connected directly to the main power feed has power all the time. It operates the fridge cooling fan, controls, indicator lamps, and the sink water pump.

12.5 amps is a fairly heavy load. If you want to run the fridge on 12 volts, you need another 8. 12.5 amps should be feed by 14 gauge wire. With 2-3 weeks run time for the fridge on propane, I see no reason the run it on battery when parked anyway. For your 12.5 amp load, you will only get a few hours (4-5), on fully charged optima. It takes many hours of driving the charge a battery so keep in mind how this will be used. Fuse holder can be obtained at a good auto parts store, JC Whitney, or radio Shack.

Dennis