Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:41:43 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Converting 'Salvage' to 'Clean' title? How honest is it?

> Salvage laws make absolute sense when it comes to late model > cars for safety purposes. But from an insurance companies point > of view, our vanagons aren't collectable, economically rebuildible > (new parts), or replaceable. So they'd rather dish out cash...

That is very true. Consider that just the font and rear bumpers on a late model Vanagon with fiberglass bumpers would be several thousand dollars alone (since they're dealer only). Since the insurance company is obliged to use original quality, new replacement parts, not used ones, and a later model Vanagon with high mileage might only have a book value of a few grand, even bumper damage (or something similar) could be enough to result in a salvage title despite the fact that about $500 at a junkyard would make it good as new.

My '77 Westy almost ended up with a salvage title after someone stole the stereo. They broke into the bus, and ripped off all of the cabinet doors by the hinges rather than bothering to push the little release button, then scratched up the sofabed base slightly removing the subwoofer. No other damage to the vehicle. Since the cabinet doors could not be bought separately, and the new price of a new cabinet was something like $1500 at the time, the insurance company wanted to junk the bus and pay me the low blue-book value. I fought it very hard, on the grounds that while the NADA book listed the bus as worth about $1500, a collectable/antique blue book showed about $3000. I eventually ended up with a settlement of about $2500 including the cost of the stereo, with no salvage title. But if they'd succeeded, the bus would have had a salvage title because of damage to a few cabinet doors, simply because its NADA book value was low.

By comparison, my present '89 Westy also has a salvage title, because it was once in a flood, and (at the time) deserved it. The engine, trans, and wheels/brakes had been nearly submerged in water. The cost of a brand new VW engine, trans, and brakes/wheels exceeded the book value. (Fortunately, I can get the parts a bit cheaper. :-) After putting in a new engine, trans, all new brake parts, and (just to play it safe) all new hoses, the van has run for years trouble-free (other than the usual things). And I was able to get a good deal on the Westy because it needed those major repairs. But this seller was less than honest, and I was not ripped off only because I knew the vehicle and saw what he had somewhat tried to conceal. Had there been no salvage title, I have no doubt that this particular seller would not have been forthcoming about the history of the van (and the repairs that it needed, which he was well aware of).

I think salvage titles are a good idea as they can give a prospective buyer some warning. And I have no inclination to try to remove the designation from my Westy, even if I could, as I do think it would be less than honest. However, as the other post noted, it's worth considering that even some minor and relatively unimportant damage can lead to a salvage title due, to the relatively low book value of these vehicles versus the high cost of some dealer-only replacement parts.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT

Regards,

Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "George Goff" <thx0001@aol.com> To: <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 5:50 PM Subject: Re: Converting 'Salvage' to 'Clean' title? How honest is it?