Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Mar 2003 08:56:12 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Noisy Wheel bearing - Serious Question

I've got a front inner wheel bearing that is noisy. Sequence of events: July 2001, installed new bearings and seals, everything OK. for 15K. March 2002, had the front suspension rebuilt and the shop set the washer under the wheel retaining nut in the shallow slot, it allowed the bearing to run loose. I discovered this in September 2002 while running hard on interstates and the noise became noticeable (never profound). Just a rumbling sound. The inner bearing showed signs of the rollers skidding on the outer race, like it had been sanded or bead blasted. More of a hazy rather than shiny surface. September 2002, Installed new wheel bearings, both sides set the washers correctly. Right wheel bearing still noisy. February 2003, Replaced right front wheel bearing, seal, lubricated with disk brake grease. Week later still noisy. The bearing looked to be good, not hazing or markings on run area. March 8, 2003 Today, Replaced right front wheel bearing, seal, lubricated with disk brake grease. I'm still getting noise. In used a digital caliper to measure the setting of the bearing outer race in the hub, it is set within .001 into the hub, if I measure it again it might be off by that so measuring it three or four times I'm certain the outer race is set properly. I notice some minor tracking around the spindle where the loose bearing inner race of March 2002 had rotated. The tires have been re balanced when they were rotated. The tires do not show any abnormal wear patterns. Tires are at 33 PSI, Recommended pressure on the door post. I don't see signs of brake pads dragging and rotors look like new with no groves or hot spots. I'm down to considering that it might be a bent spindle or for some reason the inner, small race is rotating on the spindle at highway speeds. The nut has been brought down firm, backed off until the wheel had minuscule wobble and hand tightened to relieve wobble. In touchy feely measuring I can't feel any temperature difference between the OK left and the noisy Right after running the van hard at highway speeds and NOT using the brakes to stop before I check the temp. (Coast to stop by gearing down and just letting it roll so as to not get heat from the rotors transferred to the hub. Come to full stop with hand brake.) I've got places to go and things to do but this potential failure or possibility of causing serious damage to my spindle has me buffaloed. I have some wonderful new very smooth asphalt roads and new pristine concrete streets that I've tested on and I get the same noise on both. I sure hate to think about installing a new spindle just to have this same noise. My only thinking at this point is to go back in and use a center punch to put a dimple in the spindle shaft where the inner small race rides to confirm that the inner race isn't rotating. Think through this and give me your comments. Thanks

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia (Mona ?????)

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com