Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:04:24 -0800
From:         Mark Belanger <belanger@FLUID.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power plans and questions

Dennis Haynes wrote: > Is the device a secret? It would easier for us to help if we know what > it is and how long you need to use it.

No secret. It's a PC. I just wanted to avoid the inevitable "why not just use a laptop" comments that would be launched by the peanut gallery.

It has a pretty slick DC-DC power supply that's tied to ignition. When the ignition is off, a configurable delay sends a power-down single to the motherboard.

> The cab lights and light in the > back of the Westy is actually feed from the front fuse box. Fuse #3 I > think. The two fuses near the sink cabinet are for the refrigerator, > water pump, and control panel. One is connected to the switched side of > the relay so that it is energized only when the alternator is charging. > The relay actually uses the idiot light circuit for the alternator. The > ground for the relay is provided through the starter solenoid. I guess > the plan was to also disable the relay while the engine was cranking. Of > I've never seen the alternator energize while before the engine actually > started anyway! This provides power for the refrigerator 12v heating > coil. The other wire is connected directly to the main power feed has > power all the time. It operates the fridge cooling fan, controls, > indicator lamps, and the sink water pump.

Interesting. I got that incorrect idea from the write-up on Vanagon.com. Very detailed response. Thank you.

> 12.5 amps is a fairly heavy load. If you want to run the fridge on 12 > volts, you need another 8. 12.5 amps should be feed by 14 gauge wire.

Yeah, after I sent the post, I came to the conclusion that I needed a direct run to the battery.

> With 2-3 weeks run time for the fridge on propane, I see no reason the > run it on battery when parked anyway. For your 12.5 amp load, you will > only get a few hours (4-5), on fully charged optima. It takes many hours > of driving the charge a battery so keep in mind how this will be used.

Wait. Can one run the propane fridge while moving? I was under the impression that you couldn't. That's the only reason I'd run it off DC and just to keep an already chilled fridge cool.

Is the stock alternator capable of driving a worst case scenario: headlights, radio, interior light, fridge and computer?

Thanks again for the detailed response, -MB -- _______________________________________________________________________ Mark Belanger - belanger@fluid.com