Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:32:03 -0500
From:         Jeff Stewart <fonman4277@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      New To List-Sort Of

Hello Everyone, I just subscribed to this list after being off it for a few years. Some of you probably know me (Jeff Stewart, Round Hill VA) I'm on type2, and exactly one week ago today I sold my 1977 Westfalia. I swore I'd never get another. Yesterday I bought an '84 Vanagon Westy. I was tired of the shortcomings of the bay window buses, mainly freezing in the winter, getting blown into another lane on windy days, and general lack of safety. I almost bought a Vanagon back in '96, but horror stories about leaky heads scared me away. Since then I've owned two bay window Westys. I became fairly comfortable with the mechanical quirks of the T4 engine, but at this point waterboxers are a mystery to me. I am picking up the Westy this weekend, taking Amtrak to Lancaster Ohio, where the seller is located, hopefully leaving mid-day Saturday to bring it back to Virginia. Since I'm traveling by train, I won't be able to take along all the stuff I used to carry in my buses, like a complete tool kit, but I will at least take along a few basic tools. I'd like to hear any suggestions on what to look for in the way of problems. The Westy has 177K miles, (rebuilt @ 110K) and a recently rebuilt auto transmission. The seller says it has a slight fluctuation at idle when the engine warm. If anyone sees a cream this Saturday on I-70, I-79, I-68, I-81, US 522, wave-that'll most likely be me. If it's on the shoulder with the engine hatch up-please stop!! Thanks, Jeff