Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:52:46 -0500
From:         Myron Lind <mdlind@RICA.NET>
Subject:      Fridge relay technical question

OK, so the Bentley shows the fridge relay for the Westy as being "tripped" by the alternator wire and a connection to terminal 50 (start position) of the start switch. Presumably this keeps the relay off during starting of the van.

My 1982 diesel had a factory looking blue wire (appears to be from the alternator) and then the other side of the coil for the relay was grounded on the screw that held the relay. This would also be off during starting of the van, but would connect the batteries if the key is in the "on" position, correct?

I thought it would be better to go with terminal 50 since that won't activate the relay until the alternator is charging (that is how my 83 waterboxer worked--I could hear the relay as I revved the engine and saw the headlights brighten), and I hooked up a second relay (no need to debate the relay/isolator--that's not what the question is about) to charge a second battery. I brought a wire from terminal 50 on the emergency brake light switch back under the seat to the relay. Now the original relay runs the fridge and the second relay. The second relay allows the second battery to be charged once they both kick in.

Problem: The relay(s) chatters at low rpm and when the brake lights come on, especially when the van is still warming up. Other factors that might be related. The alternator light won't turn off, but I know it is charging because I can watch the voltage change (digital VOM) on various hot wires and I can see the change in voltage from approximately 12.5-12.7 up to 13.6-13.7 volts or so. I can hear the relay kick in as the engine revs so I am guessing the alternator light problems is after the "T" for the fridge relay. But, maybe its related. Anyway, it kicks in as I rev the engine, it just doesn't want to stay. Both the fridge relay and the second battery relay are using the single pretty small (20-22 gauge?) wire coming from terminal 50--could the wire be too small? BTW, I seem to recall a charging alternator was supposed to be around 14.2 volts, or am I going to be lower from running the glow plugs?

Anyone know why the diesel was done differently or what would cause this chatter?

Thanks for any help.

Myron Lind 1982 Westy TDD/5 speed (WOW, the true hydro motor mount made a HUGE difference in engine noise) Harrisonburg, VA