Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Mar 2003 12:05:44 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: red  oil light?
Comments: To: Ty Takashima <TYTAKASHIMA@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

At 01:51 PM 3/7/2003, Ty Takashima wrote: >the oil light stay on. Could it be that the oil light >is malfunctiong? or should I just drive it and see if >goes out? thanks Ty

Um...If you run your engine without oil pressure it will destroy itself. Are you asking if it's a good idea to bet $2000 or so plus your labor that the light is wrong? I don't wish to be brutal, but I find myself somewhat in the position of Charles Babbage when he wrote "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

david ps -- <sigh> Ty, you're not alone -- since I've been on the list this question has been asked in various ways what seems like hundreds of times, which probably means a dozen or so...because actually measuring the pressure is a nuisance if you're not already set up for it. But the plain fact is you're betting against the light, the stakes being your present convenience if you win and the cost of replacing the engine if you lose. I think it's a sucker bet, myself.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"