Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:09:14 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>
Subject:      Stereo Install - Replacing Speaker Wires

I finally got around to installing a stereo in my '88 Wolfsburg this week. The Pioneer deck (DEH-6500) fit beautifully, I was even able to use the rear support (just like factory). After hooking everything up I turned on the radio and was greeted with music... out of 3 speakers. After checking my connections at the radio, I popped out the driver's door speaker to ohm the wires... nothing.

So now the games began:

#1 - pull the instrument cluster, follow the wires. Looked fine.

#2 - drop the fuse box, follow the wires. Looked fine.

#3 - pull gently on speaker wires. Didn't look fine.

I ended up with the broken speaker wires in my hand. It looks like the many years of opening and closing the door had worn out the wires to the breaking point.

Now that the games were over, the fun began. Sometimes my "do it right the first time nature" gets in the way of sensibility because I was determined to run the new speaker wires back through the boot between the door and body. Did I fail to mention that my van has power windows, mirrors and door locks? Lots of wires running through that boot. So off comes the door panel and I gently pull the boot away from the door. I spent the next 30 minutes trying to feed a variety of items through the boot, the winner ended up being a phone cable lubricated with silicone. I was able to feed it deep enough into the boot so that I could grab the end with a pair of needle nose pliers. Time for a pint.

After a Guinness, I used the phone cable to pull the speaker wires through the boot and into the door. I also pulled an extra wire through to use as a pull if I ever need to do this again. After 5 minutes or so of struggling to connect the boot to the door I was finished with the nasty part. Attach the speaker wires, put the door panel, fuse box and instrument cluster back on and viola, quadraphonic sound. Okay, not really quadraphonic but all four speakers worked (did I date myself by using the term quadraphonic).

My congratulations to anyone who has had to feed wires through their door boot and my sincere condolences to anyone who will in the future.

Cheers,

Jeff