Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Mar 2003 17:56:17 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: window tint

Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET> wrote -

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <snip>

We did check interior temps before and after tinting our '81 Westy. Naturally, this was not a controlled experiment. We tried to check on similar days with similar sun load, etc. We live in Arizona, so we get over 80% of possible sunshine (clouds are rare). We saw a 15 to 20 degree difference after tinting.

I have metallic tint on my '87 Westy, lighter on the door windows, fairly dark on the back, with a fairly dark strip across the top of the windshield. It was put on by Spokane Sunscreen for $190 in May '00. They removed the side window by the cabinet to put the tint on back there. It certainly feels cooler than it used to. I also mounted a 12v fan to one of the screws on the overhead behind the passenger seat, to move cold air from the back to the front.

Without air-conditioning, I'm sure several hours in the sun would bring any car, no matter what the temp, to the same temperature.

Your AC, though, can get rid of X amount of heat per hour, and window tint cut's that gain to a level that the AC can deal with.

Unfortunately my van is dark blue, so if I spent more of the summer in really hot climates, I would be tempted to paint the top white.

Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, ID mike_l_f@hotmail.com

Perception is more real than truth, and belief turns truth into lies. - Kedar Nan

_________________________________________________________________ STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail