Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Mar 2003 20:09:35 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Product review: folding lug wrench

I've bought two of these in the past year to put in J**p Cherokees. The factory lug wrenches in these in '90 and '92 were complete crap. No room under the seat for an ordinary 4-way like I have in my vanagon. Mine came from Pep Boys, price higher than yours if I recall. SAE sizes, not metric. They seem pretty solid, but I haven't tried adding the cheater pipe yet.

Larry A.

Mark Belanger wrote: > > Pokes, > > Thought I'd share a little find with y'all of y'all. Ever since I owned > a Jeep I've been spoiled by full cross tire irons, but they take up > quite a bit of room and even when you find a place for them, they don't > fit anywhere well. I just got this wrench and I'm tickled black and > blue with it. It's a folder lug wrench made by Bug Pack. Here's a shot > of it extended: > > http://geocities.com/mbelanger/lug/lug1.jpg > > It has 17, 19, 21 and 23mm sockets and the two folding arms are held in > place by heavy duty collars that snap in place. Here's a shot of it > unfolded: > > http://geocities.com/mbelanger/lug/lug2.jpg > > I used it to crack a way too over-torqued bolt with no problem. It > didn't feel like there was any flex. Although, the collars don't fit as > snugly as I'd like they're in no danger of sliding off, either. Also, > at 14", it's a little shorter than what feels right, but hell, that just > makes it easier to store. > > Here's a last shot of the engraved numbers for your detail hounds: > > http://geocities.com/mbelanger/lug/lug3.jpg > > I paid about $11 for it from VW Parts. Unfortunately, their site > doesn't list it, but if you're interested, you can send an email to > staff@vwparts.net. > > It gets two bruised thumbs up. > > -MB