Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:58:56 -0800
From:         Harald Rust <harald_nancy_vw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: RoadHaus - Filling LP tanks problem.

It doesn't make any sense. It's unlikely that both auto shutoff valves would be stuck at the same time on 2 new lp tanks. A stuck valve is usually the reason if you can't fill the lp tank. If you were able to put in 1/4 gallon, then the auto shutoff valve is working ok, and the tank was almost full. We have 2 propane tanks on our westy, and we keep one turned off, and only use one at a time until it's totally empty. Then we keep the empty one turned off, and use the full one, and have the empty one refilled when it's convenient. Basically we use only one tank at a time to keep track of usage. You can use a magnetic sticker on the left or right side of the dash as a reminder which tank you're using. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it right now. Just use only one propane tank until it's totally empty, and see how long it goes. It's also a good idea to run them totally empty once in awhile to get the "gas odor additive" out that collects in the bottom of the lp tank. Harald '90 westy http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vw-camping/

Larry wrote: Kind of embarrassing ... but, I'm suddenly having a problem getting my propane tanks filled. Tried 3 fill places today. Background ....... new stock tanks & regulators installed 4 weeks ago. Both been filled 3-4 times previously with no problem. Now neither tank will take propane. Actually they take maybe 1/4 of a gallon and that's it. Its been 2 weeks since the last fill and have been running the fridge, furnace and cook stove constantly. Is there something in the fill procedure I'm forgetting? On the Road, Larry Chase