Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:27:21 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: titles for cars that dont have titles

In a message dated 3/11/03 11:10:36 PM Pacific Standard Time, JordanVw@AOL.COM writes:

<< Whoahh...lighten up my friend.. not the response i thought... this is coming from you, the list joker? :<) (smiles) no cheap shots intended. all in fun, and thought it would make you chuckle since you frequently dish out the same at others (and me at times too) :<) no harm intended. ok? not out to make any enemies or tick anyone off. >>

Chris, YOU asked not to be included in that type of banter if you will recall. You said you would NOT make such personal comments because you did not want to hear them yourself. So you may not "dish out" such drivel directed to me per an agreement you originated. Take the rest of this crap pmail. This is email the last you will hear from me onlist on this subject this time.

<< anyway.. no more cheap shots at anyone :<) including Stan Wilder and Mike miller! haha.. can't hold you to that one im sure ;<) (smiles) <---wrote the word so you know this is all in fun :<) >>

You see Stan & Mike are grown-ups. I've never had them ask me to refrain from including them in such banter. You on the other hand were so upset about a comment made that had NOTHING to do with you before. So upset that you pmailed me to "keep you out" of these types of jokes. REMEMBER????!!!!!!

<< i think this actually started out as a thread about a '87 westy that was stolen and recovered in socal..i was merely trying to encourage the owner of the stolen westy to give up a good fight to the Ins Co (good thing youre not an Ins Co rep :<) as i know how they must feel having their pride and joy messed up like that. Most people just give up and take a major loss when something like that happens, but there are other avenues to a possibly positive outcome if you are smart and do some research. nothing illegal of course. and apparently like another lister said, laws vary from state to state, CA seemingly being the most stringent. >>

"Encouraging" the owner to change the salvage designation IS illegal. If you don't believe in that sort of thing, then don't encourage such practice. If an enthusiast loves their vehicle so much, then it should not matter to them if the title says it is salvage. If someone cares about that sort of thing, them they are only looking to conceal the fact from other people. In my book concealment is cheating. Whether it be for resale or to show off at a car show, that sort of deception is immoral to most people. This sort of thing happened on a wholesale basis with lots of flood damaged cars from Texas in the late 90's. There was a flood (pun intended) of such salvage cars dumped on mostly in online sales. The other extreme was a certain "VW collector" who was showing his VW on the show circuits as an "unrestored original car". The apparent value of his vehicle was later downgraded as it was revealed the car had been wrecked before found via insurance records. Other enthusiasts were disappointed that this person "cheated" them out of possible show wins with a relabeled salvage vehicle.

Next time you see me mention this subject, it will mostly have an aquatic flavor to it.

BenT