Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:01:58 -0800
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Some more on "measuring deck height"
Comments: To: type2@type2.com

Hi all:

A while back I asked a question about a set up I saw at

http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/valvejob.html

for measuring deck height using a dial gauge. (The picture I'm referring to is about 3/4ths of the way down the page.)

I thought perhaps there was some way to measure deck height directly using this set up, i.e., without removing the dial gauge from its place at the top of the cylinder. As the author didn't explain how he used this set up I asked the list and was told that the way it was done was to note the reading of the gauge with the piston at TDC, then move the set up over to a flat surface, take another reading, do a little math, and you've got it. So I thought I'd give it a try.

Well, I'm not impressed with the technique so far, but maybe I'm doing something wrong and I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance.

First, the flat bar that spans the top of the cylinder and provides the base for the dial gauge has a fairly narrow "foot" and I found it very difficult - maybe impossible - to determine when I had the "foot" flat against both sides of the cylinder. I found that just a very little rocking of the bar from side-to-side would move the gauge 8 - 10 thousands of an inch without me being able to determine with certainty when it was "flat."

The problem continued over at my flat surface - a quarter inch thick piece of plate glass - where "rock" and differences in pressure I'd apply to the bar also cause the dial gauge to fluctuate fairly significantly.

Has anybody used this technique and can offer some tips? Otherwise I'll probably just go back to my flat bar and feeler gauge method.