Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Mar 2003 12:10:31 -0800
From:         Todd Last <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diff lock in a 2wd
Comments: To: Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>

Okay, I checked my notes. The limited slip was made by ZF and was a rare option for some VW models. Generally not offered in the US as far as I can tell. Quotes I got a year or two ago were about $850 used when you could find them - double the cost of installing a locking diff in a 2wd trans.

I think we are in agreement that which is better depends on what type of environment you are going to run in. Limited slip is only going to transfer, at most, 25% power to the other wheel. Where a locked diff has 100% to both. The other thing to consider is that since the limited-slip is controlled by clutches, they will wear out over time and have to be rebuilt.

Limited slip has the advantage of always being "on" where the locker must be manually controlled. Also, you can't run on dry pavement with the locking differential unless you want to wear things out in a hurry. Of course, for the gadget inclined, having an extra knob and light on the dash with the locking differential would count as a plus.

The consensus of the people I asked, was that a limited slip was a better option if you felt you were going to hit occasional problems, mostly in regular driving situations, where a locking differential was a better choice for extreme weather and road conditions. For example heavy ice or snow, sand. The Quaife is the best of all worlds, allowing 100% power and is "always on". It is also the most expensive option. (However up until last year there was not one available for the Vanagon transmission. Versions for the type II were around $1,100)

It all depends on what you are going to be doing, and where you are going to be doing it and how much cash you have to burn.

Todd '88 Westy