Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Mar 2003 20:52:17 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 13 Mar 2003 - Special issue (#2003-294)
Comments: cc: bostneng@FCL-US.NET

Boston Bob, I have read and PDFed your information. "preloading the lifters can be tricky " is an understatement. What is the best way to establish "true zero lash" where the hydralic valve have been pumped up fully and the two turn rule holds true? I don't have a clue what you mean by the valves becoming airbound as air can be compressed???? oil is solid in a lifter and behaves as such. Two turns into a solid lifter is goal. I suspesct that a poor lifter is an airbound lifter??? What the archives need is something to help out us old farts who grew up with solid lifters so we can pass this on to the new owners of our old machines. What I do know bob is that if you do a compression check while backing off the valves one at a time, turn at a time you may reach a magic point. Your imput as always is appreciated as I see we all have a bit of a moving target with only two endpoints. thanks for your help, gary Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:44:47 -0500 From: Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET> Subject: Re: valve adjustment question

While my web site is down I will email my info on lifers to all that ask preloading the lifters can be tricky the more you preload the longer it takes to bleed down or self adjust The Bentley book now states that preloading is optional because the lifters can become air bound and never fill with oil low manifold vacuum and low power are the main symptoms Bob Donalds Boston Engine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Faust" <mobytype2@yahoo.com> To: "Robert Donalds" <bostneng@FCL-US.NET> Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 12:24 PM Subject: Re: Boston Engine Website ?