Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Mar 2003 04:31:47 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: current model lug nuts and bolts for alloys?
Comments: To: Oxroad@aol.com

In a message dated 3/13/03 9:59:34 PM Pacific Standard Time, Oxroad@AOL.COM writes:

<< I've noticed on the new VW products (say 2001-2003) with factory alloy wheels the lug nuts and/or lug bolts are decidedly different than the nuts/bolts offered with the Vanagon alloy wheels up to 91. >> <snip> << On the Jettas and Passats I see they use one of the following on silver colored alloy wheels: 1. Black metal (not chromed) lug nuts or bolts. or 2. Black metal (not chromed) bolts that have allen head sockets--meaning they need to be removed with an allen wrench. The allen head version must be bolts, I'm guessing, and not nuts. But they could be nuts. Heck, I could be nuts! Although an allen head nut would seem a bit odd.>>

Jeff, the Allen head lugnuts are what most int he industry call Tuner lugnuts. You are correct in assuming that they are bolts. I was told by the parts guys at my local VW dealer that VW went to these because they are more difficult for the casual thief to remove. I would think that the black chrome is just a styling exercise. If you look at most offerings on Japanese compact cars, you will note that many are offering the same type of lugnuts or bolts. My lugnut supplier is even offering a black chrome lugnut to mimic the Tuner lugs.

<< The question is are any of these lugs usable on the Vanagon if someone wanted to "upgrade" the Vanagon alloy wheels' look? And would they be cheaper than the dealer offered Vanagon alloy silver color or chromed wheel lug nuts and bolts that the VW dealer sells for the Vanagon for about $11 a piece? Are the black headed lugs of both styles available in both nuts and bolts? Did VW in South Africa go with this black lug look on the late model SA Vanagon with the Carat2 wheels? >>

The other VW products use a ballseat lugbolt. Whereas the Vanagon uses a conical seat lugnut. I would assume that VW in South Africa use lugnuts ONLY in the later model Caravelles. Afterall, that's where our SA big brakes which uses lugnuts only come from. So in summary, SA uses conical lugnuts only. VW uses ballseat lugbolts only pretty much everywhere else.

As a sidebar, VW only used the conical seat lugnuts and bolts so that they can offer both steel rims and alloy wheels (which have thicker mounting pads) on new models without having to change studs for each option.

BenT