Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:30:39 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Maximum engine power and Performane Chip Discussion

Vanaganeers,

I've seen these performance chip claims and counter claims before and feel I should make some comments in light of my observations on the ECU's final fuel mixture settings during closed and open loop operation, and yes I have said this before, but for the new listmemebers... First a little background about the Digifant Fuel Injection, 86 - 91 vans.

As with any engine, there is a finite amount of horsepower available. These are the posted numbers we all compare from engine to engine. Torque and Horsepower and at what RPM. On this comparison alone, the waterboxer and inline engine numbers cc for cc are really quite similiar in the normal 2400-4000 RPM range of operation. In the real world however, the waterboxer does not produce this power without necessary maintance to the Fuel Injection system and ingition system-- A good first step in any event. You can read more about this by seaching the archives 1998 and on under my email address or pmail me.

Now even if the fuel injection system and ingition were properly set, the O2 sensor Digifant Fuel Injection system still DOES NOT, make the maximum horsepower possible with the stock engine . This is because the ECU / O2 sensor configuration of the system is to keep fuel mixture within a predetermined mixture range-- neither optimum economy nor optimum power. But rather slightly above average economy and power mixtures, which equates out to a specific emmision profile. The only exception being when the throttle is wide open. Then a micro switch by passes The O2 sensor input and a predetermined mixture is delivered, giving a BEST available power. Lift off the throttle slightly and you go back to average power.

Because the Vanagon engine always operates at high percentage of it's available power, compared to cars, the ability regulate when the engine makes maximum horsepower is a key to drivability in traffic. Unfortunately, if true maximum power mixture was availabale at all times fuel economy would suffer. But if we could have power mitxure become available from half throttle on greatly changes the way our vans perform in traffic drivabiliy. Unfortuanely, max power is only available at wide open throttle-- a hard way to drive in traffic. This is can make the vanagon much more difficult to drive in some traffic situations. It's really sad because extra horspower is available, but the ECU program isn't configured to give it you, here's why.

The Digifant Fuel system works largley by monitoring input from the O2 sensor. By monitoring the O2 sensor with an averaging multimeter you can see the average fuel mixture theengine is actually getting. Because the engine is constantly getting a little less and a little more than this average, it probably isn't even producing the same power it could if it got a constant mixture.

If you have a well tuned system, you can observe this, by driving at just less than full throttle up an incline on a couple of minutes durataion with and without the O2 sensor connected. Your ending speed will always be slower with the O2 connected. In testing My system, the ECU/ O2 sensor averaged .53 volts. WITHOUT the O2 engaged, my system stayed at .84 volts steady throughout the entire climb, essentially a full power mixture. I also observed that fuel mixture was steady and varyed nicely according to load. At half throttle about .7 volts, and 1/4 throttle .3 volts and so on. Unforturnatly it's not advised to operate in this open loop mode even if it gives a perfect control over engine power. The reason is the Catalytic Convertor could be damaged if the system malfunctioned and delivered to much fuel. So the question is how to accomplish this feat with the O2 sensor operating.

As I'm not a programmer I do not know the intracacies of the Vanagon's ECUs. I state what I'd like to see, and the state what seems to be the CHIP approach we have presented to us. First what I'd like. A chip that could set a desirable fuel mixture based on the AFM flap position. During acceration the mixture should begin to become more power oriented, at Cruise more economy. Having seen the AFM circuit board, several points of resistance change made during the wiper arms travell for idle to wide open. The Chip should use these as triggers to smooth the transition from economy to a max power. The economy/Max power transition point should 1/2 throttle. At just above 1/2 throttle The chip should begin setting a power mix, .5 volt and have full power in by 2/3 throttle, .84 volts. On the economy, just below 1/2 throttle fuel mixture should be set for .4 volts down to .3 by 1/3 throttle. Real world, an improvement would be just to have two maps that change at half throttle.

If the above senario were not possible then I have to guess or speculate on what a chip programmer is doing . The simple route would be for the chip to interpret the TEMP II sensor as reading a slightly colder, and therefore richer fuel map, engine that the stock chip. This of course would lead to lower fuel economy, as the engine does not need the powerful mixture when just cruising along, so extra gas is being unused.

A More sophicsticated approach might incorporate new upper and lower control values on the mixture. I've observed .3 volts, and .7 volt as the stock values. Knowing that best power is .84 volts, the chip could allow the mixture to go further up to .84 volts before beginning to lean out the mixture would tap some power. This would give improvement in power and lower fuel economy.

My feeling at the moment is if the chip could alter mixuture limits based on load then we have a better drivability and economy over a properly tuned stock system If the Chip solution that doesn't addresss WHEN max power is availble, it dosen't address our needs.

Sincerely,

Mark Keller 91 Carat