Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:30:57 -0500
From:         ian Butler <ian@BLUEMOON.HPLX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Converting a salvage title in CA
Comments: To: Mike Miller <mwmiller@CWNET.COM>

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Mike Miller wrote:

> In a word, NO. > > Once a vehicle is branded salvage, junk or several other things like that > it will remain that. The records are held by VIN so unless you can change > the VIN, a federal crime, then once branded is forever branded. > > This is from the people who make such decisions at DMV.

I missed the beginning of the thread, but I'll throw in my $.02 anyway. :)

In Michigan, and as I recall in Wyoming as well, the state issues a salvage title whenever the vehicle has been totaled by an insurance company, though it can be issued a salvage through other means too. After that happens, there's supposed to be a multipoint inspection done by a police officer to verify that all the major safety things work (brakes, steering, horn, windshield washer, lots of stuff) and you can take it to the Secretary of State (the DMV) to get a rebuilt title issued. A rebuilt title allows you to license it for regular on-road use just like a regular title, but as a buyer protection thing, the title is orange instead of green, and says "THIS VEHICLE WAS PREVIOUSLY ISSUED A SALVAGE TITLE" on the front.

I had an Audi that had a salvage title, and the inspection turned out to be a police officer checking the VIN to see if it was stolen or had a lien, and then signing the paper. MI also doesn't have emissions testing, which probably eases the process.

It's easy here, and with minimal government involvement. As to whether it's a good way to run a fairly well-populated state is another matter, though. I guess it sorta matches our roads (potholes, frost heaves, and heck, even large sections of missing pavement in places.)

ian Butler / ian@bluemoon.hplx.net '88 Scirocco 16v (on repair shop #3), '87 Syncro GL