Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:38:55 -0800
From:         Randy Newell <rattlehead_64@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      88 Wolfsburg heat problems

Hello all,

I am having issues with heat problems with my vanagon and am looking for some tips. First off, I am by no means a mechanic, but, I do enough to get by. Good thing because the VW dealer here is not only 30 miles away, I am convinced that they want to make you buy a new one, so they jack the labor per hour to what most people make in a day. I have had a problem with my vanagon heating up ever since I got it. It gets hot when idoling, and yes I know this is common, this is my second Vanagon :) can't get away. It's a sickness, I guess. This one seems to heat up faster, that my last one. And, it also heats up when driving down the road (only when the temp outside it >90) I sort of put this off because, it is not a problem during the winter months. I THINK it is the rad, so I purchased another one last fall. I looked at it, and thought, this looks a lot harder then it looked when I read the Bentley. It looks heavy and like a real pain in the butt to change. Anyway, what I need is a "how-to" from someone who has done this. And bear in mind I am not a grease monkey. I do know how to change coolant, and purge the system out. Also, what other things should I check, sensors and such that may also cause this. The fan DOES kick on, but the needle has to get pretty high before it does. When I first got it, I lived close to a lot better VW shop, they changed a sensor that I belive lived right on the thermostat housing, but it really didn't help. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, as a couple of side notes, anyone know a way to adjust the captians' chair back so that it sets up a little more? And tires, tires tires. I am looking to upgrade them (so they all match and look cool :) What are the best? ( yes I realize this is a matter of opinion, so describe the feel of them) What do I use to clean up my alloys? I don't want to hurt them, but they are looking pretty bad. Well thanks to all that helped with my instrument cluster lighting problem. I took it out, flattened out the plastic circut thing where it went into the real wires, put it back in very carefully and everthing works great! I think that the cluster had become loose and the connections had gotten crinkled a bit. Ok, sorry so long winded, can anyone who responds send to my direct e-mail? I have the mail turned off, it was a bit overwhelming, so I set mail to "off" and check the archives. Thanks in advance to all and spring is finally here!!!!! :)

Randy

88 Wolfsburg (Cindy)