Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:46:34 -0800
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Rebuild sluething Qs, part 1 of ???

So this weekend was a reasonably exciting one for my first engine tear-down/rebuild. Got the case cracked open, a list member (thanks Stacy!) lent me his stand for a bit - a very welcome aid. Another list member, Craig, swung by to check things out (so far, i am batting 1.000 for cool list members), and he, my friend dan, and i poked around the case a bit. A few things turned up though, that i thought i'd ask the list:

1a) The cam shaft looks a little golden on part of the lobe (ie. toasty oil brown) - does this necessarily mean overheated, or is it just kind of normal? The lifters themselves look beautiful a mirror finish. 1b) One of the camshaft bearings is completely golden brown - different colour than the other two... same thing? 1c) Mechanical lifters are supposed to be convex - are hydraulic lifter, also?

It seems pretty apparent this engine was rebuilt not too long ago, but one put-together nasty showed up. ...

2a) It looks like the outer most thrust bearing on the crankshaft was installed incorrectly, so that the tang was pressed into the case a bit (oriented at about 7:00). Aside from the obvious minor ding to the case, what would this do? Could it be the cause for: 2b) We checked the crankshaft endplay after we split the case, just to see what was up, and there was none. Could it be why the largest shim was sheared a little bit? Anyway, taking out one of the shims gave a total play of about .010" (need to still mic that shim we took out). This wouldn't do anything terrible to the engine, would it?

There were other things, too, like a bit of green stuff in the oil (hmmm... what could that be?), but nothing that looked really suspicious.

Ok, those are all my questions for now... bits go off to the correct people to have the correct refurbishing things done, now. :-)

Thanks for any input, this is being a really fun project so far.

-Damon

===== '84 Westy '65 Kharma Ghia (Dharma)