Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:29:30 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: O2 sensor problems
Comments: To: Mark Keller <kelphoto@SHAW.CA>
Comments: cc: Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET>

At 12:00 PM 3/17/2003, Mark Keller wrote: >I would like to politely suggest that attempting to correct any problem >with the running of the engine while leaving the O2 sensor connected is >flatley incorrect. Disconnecting the O2 sensor should be the first >step. If the engine still runs poor, find the problem. If the engine >runs perfect, then and only then correct the the O2 sensor faults,

I quite agree. The closed-loop mode does its level best to iron out any deficiencies in the rest of the system based on input from the O2 sensor. If the sensor is correct this lets you run well even if some other part of the system is out of spec. If the sensor is wrong (sensor problems, wire problems, ECU problems, exhaust leaks) then it will force the engine to run badly.

>Connect a digital volt meter to the black wire, other lead to the body >of the sensor and look for voltage as you heat it up. Should reliably >reach .8 volts and then drop as the flame is remove.

This will demonstrate basic working of the device, but not whether its response time is correct. I'll also raise the question of how much load the sensor should be able to drive reliably (or to say another way, what's the input impedance of the ECU? It applies a 500mv bias to the line, but through what size resistor?). I'll venture a guess that it should be able to drive a load of at least a megohm, maybe 100 kilohms or less? Darrell probably knows... The DMM impedance of 10 megohms is designed to put as small a load as practical on the signal, so as not to distort the reading.

david

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"