Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:34:06 -0500
From:         Scott Norville <kr2no@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Painting Carat: Maaco OK??

As has been said, the spraying of the paint is the least of the details (however, you can mess up a car BUT good it you don't spray well). Proper prep is essential. I've not dealth with MAACO before, but have with Earl Schieb. Your choices are to: 1. drive your vanagon to the nearest shop and write a BIG check 2. shop around, then drive your vanagon to the cheapest shop and write a not as BIG check 3. do a lot of work yourself (removing things you don't want painted body color, sanding, filling/pulling dents, etc.) and let them finish the job, for a negotiable check. I just had my wife's Trooper painted by a local guy, with some minor body work (I acquired and bolted on the new/old body panels, something that I wish vanagons had), beautiful dry/wet sanding, PPG matched to the original color so we didn't have to paint the inside, for $1000. To do the same to the Westy (it has more dings, as well as the tire-shred messed-up rear panels that I've seen on several Westies) he wants ~$14-1500, or $3-400 to prep it for someone else to paint. I just may do that. Anyway, for a lasting paint job, go with PPG or Sherwin Williams Automotive. Scott