Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:22:02 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      repeatedly blowing head gasket
Comments: cc: markvermillion@EARTHLINK.NET

Mark and Ken, I would give some serious thought before putting in still another head gasket. I think the speed of the failure suggests a problem that may be beyond the capacity of even jb weld. Minor pitting should not fail so soon. Maybe Mark can provide a picture of his head at some point. Mark, I admire your efforts and the ability to stick with it. It just might be time to toss in the towel on this head. regards gary Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:18:01 -0500 From: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> Subject: Re: repeatedly blowing head gasket

This is headgasket replacement 101. You MUST repair the pits in the case sealing surface before you put on the new head gasket. I use JB Weld. Clean the pitted area with brake cleaner and some sand paper. Fill in the pits with JB Weld and let it cure overnight. The next day sand it smooth and back down to the same level as the aluminum case. While you are at it, feel around on the case lip (where the headgasket sits) and see if you feel any sharp spots. Sand these a little to smooth them out. This should fix your problem. (need me to send another gasket?)

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: 856-327-4936 Fax: 856-327-2242

----- Original Message ----- From: Mark Vermillion <markvermillion@EARTHLINK.NET> Date: Sunday, March 16, 2003 4:23 pm Subject: repeatedly blowing head gasket