Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:25:44 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: FS: Rare 15" Fuchs forged 5 spoke alloy wheels,
              fit vanagon and eurovan

In a message dated 3/17/03 9:26:59 AM Pacific Standard Time, JordanVw writes:

<< they are audi wheels.. machining the center hub hole (approx $10 ea ($40 for all 4 wheels) at your local machine shop) will get them to fit over the vanagon hub (on the 2wd models) ive never owned a syncro, do they have front grease caps the same size as 2wd? at any rate i have used similar 15" audi alloys on vanagons w/o any probs. machine the centers, use a 8mm spacer on the fronts, go w/ longer (carat style) bolts up front and longer studs on the rear if you want. thats pretty much it. you can usually find the audi 15" alloys pretty cheap (except for the fuchs style (the ones posted), theyre pretty rare) ps, they are a direct bolt on for the eurovan - the eurovan has a 45mm offset stock. all in all, you can get everything you need for usually under the price of one SA 15" rim new.. >>

You are comparing apples and oranges. Sure the price if a NEW SA wheel is more than a USED Audi wheel which needs machining and spacers for proper fit. Plus you have to contend with the issue of load rating. I'll bet these Audi wheels costs lots more if they were new.

As for pricing, I have gotten full sets of Rheins and Carat 2's for some listees for less ($400) than the "Buy-It" price ($450) of the Audi rims in this auction. I believe the SA group purchase was for even less money. Add your machining cost estimate of $40 plus proper billet aluminum spacers for $100-$200 a set. I have used the cheaper cast aluminum variety but don't feel comfortable with them on a heavy van. By the time you're through, you're talking $590-$690 for used wheels which may or may not hold up under the weight of a Vanagon. Heck I have a set of SA alloys in that I got new for $200 for 4 from my local vendor. Never mind the extra cost of lugnuts and/or bolts as you have to get them for either wheel you end up with.

Don't get me wrong. I am not adverse to using Audi rims or wheels from other vehicles to use on these vans. I just think folks need to be aware of what's available and for what. I have Porsche Fuchs on my 87 GL van. Not rated for my van but I have used them for 3 years w/o any mishaps. Dan Fleming was using Audi 5000 turbo wheels on his Syncro in Hollister (year 2) when he cracked one at the logjam. Those are just two examples. So depending on what you want to accomplish, this may be the deal for you or maybe it's not.

Don't buy it if you are trying to save money. But if you like the look and are willing to take the extra hassles of using them, then by all means bid on them. If I didn't already have some 60 various alloy wheels at home, I may even consider bidding on these guys.

BenT <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html">Vanagon Cafe</A>