Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:44:28 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Buying Vehicles off E-bay Re: The Story Of The eBay Westy
Comments: To: vw4x4@FYI.NET

Ebay sellers are no different that sellers three blocks from your house. They simply have a van for sale and the fact that Ebay takes them national improves the chances for a sale. I wouldn't hesitate to put a deposit on a Ebay sale van if I got final inspection options to back out. I'm in Texas and I've never sold a Vanagon Westy to anyone from Texas. Every buyer has come from 'no closer than 1000 miles'. Every buyer gave a final inspection and drove the vans enough local miles to confirm that I wasn't hiding anything. It is not the sellers responsibility to make an "It's going to fail soon, list". I'll be the first one to tell a potential buyer that it is common to spend the purchase price again on maintenance and repairs within a year. That excludes any body work or cosmetic repairs. I often get put out by potential buyers poking at the under side with ice picks while adjusting their halogen flashlights to weld mode. I buy vans with a multitude of problems and work through them over a two to six month period. I always buy at Buyer Beware level and just take what comes. If you buy with that in mind you can normally justify almost any repair since almost everybody I know has invested twice the resale value in their vans within a couple of years.

Stan Wilder

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:12:16 -0500 Eric Zeno <vw4x4@FYI.NET> writes: > Jeff, > Very good lesson learned here. "Would I buy another vehicle off > eBay? NO!" > Very well put. Simple and to the point. I just can't see being > able to check > everything on a vehicle that needs inspected over E-bay. Just > can't do it. > This is not to say that some sellers will not tell you, up front, of > any major problems, > but most people who let vehicle atrophy badly are not detail > oriented. You may > as well consider them to be blind. So "BUYER BE WARE" > I once went to look at a car locally, that the owner said it had > "new paint". > It was new alright. He had just finished it with a roller and > house paint! > I once as a guy over the phone if the vehicle had any rust on > it? He > said no. When I got there, he had covered it all with bondo! See > the > problem? You just can't buy a vehicle without seeing it in person. > Eric > > > > Jeff Stewart wrote: > > > OK, I've heard this list likes a good road trip story, so here > goes. First, a little background: I've been a Bay Westy owner for > the past 6 years, first a '76 then a '77. Both were in poor shape > when I bought them and needed restoration, which I did all myself, > evening learning to weld along the way. I sold my '76, swearing I'd > never buy another-4 months later I bought the '77. Two weeks ago > today I sold the '77, vowing again, no more VW buses. The following > Saturday, I received a "favorite search" email from eBay, I have > searches on "Westfalia" and "VW buses". The first item was a 1984 > Vanagon Westfalia, with a current price of $1,775.00, reserve not > met. I bid $1800.00, and became the current high bidder, but reserve > was still not met. For some reason (insanity?), I kept bidding in > $50.00 increments until I was at $2,500.00 and the reserve was met. > The auction was to end Sunday at 1:56 PM, and well needless to say I > "won", but not at $2,500, but $2,952.00. Now I had the dilemma of > > picking this thing up, since it was in Lancaster Ohio and I am in > Round Hill Virginia. After exploring several options, my best bet > was Amtrak. Only problem is Amtrak doesn't go to Lancaster, the > closest I could get was Cleveland, with a 2 1/2 hour bus ride to > Columbus, the closest I could get to Lancaster. The seller agreed to > pick me up in Columbus in the Westy. So, last Friday afternoon I > boarded Amtrak train #29 from Harper's Ferry West Virginia ( about > 20 minutes from my house) to Cleveland. I was real impressed with > Amtrak, about 3' of space between seats (I'm 6'4"), foot rests that > pop up from under the seats, very nice. ( I could now rant and rave > about how America has let it's rail system decline, but that's not > the subject here) I was enjoying the train ride very much, fell > asleep around 10:00pm, with the Bentley manual in my hands. Around > 1:00am, I awoke to an electrical smell, something was burning. I was > about to push the call button when the ventilation system shit > > down. A few seconds later, the lights went out, and the train came > to a stop. We were out in the middle of nowhere, and all that was on > was the dim emergency lighting. A conductor came by and told us we > were only a few minutes outside Cleveland, but the train had > electrical problems (duh). Now I was to have a 2 1/2 hour wait in > Cleveland before transferring to the Greyhound down to Columbus, so > a bit of a delay didn't upset me one bit, as long as we were in > Cleveland by 4:30am. We were finally pushed into Cleveland by two > back up locomotives around 3:30 am, so an hour and half of my lay > over were eaten up. At 4:35, I boarded the Greyhound to Columbus. > 85% of the passengers on the Greyhound looked like they were going > to an "Americas Most Wanted" reunion, and the bus smelled bad, too. > It was 2 1/2 hours of pure Hell. We finally rolled into Columbus at > 7:00am, right on time actually. I called the seller, who told me he > was on his way. At 7:35am, I saw my new Westy for the first time- I > > was not a "happy camper". The seller had "forgotten" to mention a > few things in his eBay listing, like a cracked windshield, sliding > door handle missing, door handles on the cab doors broken, at least > 150 chips/scratches in the paint, no radio-just a big hole in the > dash, and as I was to find out later that day, the dash lights don't > work. I honestly thought for a few minutes about telling him to > forget it, and I wanted my deposit back. But, I'd come this far, so > I decided to give it a chance. We drove back to Lancaster, about a > 30 minute drive. It ran well, and at least the interior was in good > condition. We got the DMV in Lancaster, ands it was time for me to > make a decision. I went for it (obviously,or I wouldn't be writing > this). So now it was mine. I hit route 33 out of Lancaster, scanning > the gauges-wait a second- no gas! I quickly called the seller and > asked "Does the gas gauge work!" (Remember I owned two bays) and he > said "Oh my God, I forgot to get gas, yes it does work". > > Luckily I was only a mile from a Sunoco station, where I pulled in > and got gas. I also discovered the coolant tank was empty-not good, > I thought. I then called a listmember in Chillicothe who offered > assistance if I needed it. He told me to come by his place and he'd > check it out for me. I had brought a gallon of VW antifreeze with > me, so I mixed it and topped off the coolant tank and headed for > Chillicothe. Listmember Stephen Steele met me in Chillicothe, where > I followed him to his house. He checked out my Westy and couldn't > find anything seriously wrong with it. So, at that point I went on > my way down route 33 to Athens, Ohio, where I picked up route 50 > east. Route 50 through Ohio was great. I was happy when I finally > crossed over into West Virginia because I felt like I was making > progress. I stopped in Parkersburg, W. Virginia at an Advanced Auto > store and bought a set of wheel covers (it had no wheel covers, just > bare rims, making it look really trashy, IMHO). I continued on > > through W. Virginia, and route 50 got real ugly. 50 takes you > through every little town, so you have to watch your speed. And it > gets very mountainous, steep grades of 9% for as long as 5 miles at > a time. I do NOT recommend route 50 through W. Virginia if a) you > are in a hurry, and b) you've only had 3 hours sleep in the last 36 > hours as I had. It is, however a beautiful drive that I would have > enjoyed under different circumstances. It was now around 4:00pm, and > I passed a sign that said "Romney 88 miles". Romney is not too far > from my home, but at this point I was fading fast, and thought about > stopping for the night. I had been passing dozens of dead deer > carcasses, and with night fast approaching, I did not want to use my > new Westy as a venison tenderizer. I should mention at this point > that the Westy was running flawlessly, never a hiccup, and the temp > gauge was staying low, not even close to the midpoint, even up the > steep mountains. OK, how many new Westy owners have glanced > > down at the temp gauge and mistaken the minute hand of the clock > for the temp needle as it passes by the gauge? Made my heart skip a > beat or two. Despite Romney being only 88 miles away, it took me 2 > 1/2 hours to cover that distance. It's not easy driving, especially > at night. I finally made Romney, and from there on to Winchester > Virginia and then to Round Hill. I was never so glad to be home. I > fell asleep within an hour of getting home. Sunday I washed and > waxed the Westy, and started touching up all the nicks in the paint. > I even have a radio installed as well. All in all, it's not in bad > shape. Had this not been an eBay purchase, I would have used the > defects as a bargaining chip. Would I buy another vehicle off eBay? > NO! I feel I was lucky this time, but wouldn't do it again. As for > the differences between a Bay and a Vanagon, well the Bay is like > Motel 6 and the Vanagon is the Hilton. I also like the fact that 18 > wheelers didn't blow me into another lane or make my life flash > > before my eyes like they did in a Bay. And heat! Wow, I never had > that in a Bay. Well, I'm hooked, obviously, and regret now not > buying a Vanagon years ago when I shied away from them due to all > the horror stories about the heads leaking. Well, that's the end of > my story for now. If you want a look at my Westy, I'll be at > Everybus in a couple of weeks, close to the Canadians. Jeff > >

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com