Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:09:16 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Acckk! My gear juice is *blue*...
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>

Years ago I worked in and oil analysis laboratory with Page Industries, at Ft. Rucker, AL. Page had the Aircraft Maintenance Contract there with the Army to maintain all their training aircraft and helicopters. At that time due to the Vietnam War hundreds of Pilots were being put through their paces in preparation to go to Vietnam. Thousands of training hours were put on the helicoptors, and the Oil lab monitored everything that had oil in it, especially transmissions that drove rotor systems. Page also had a test program going where they hovered helicopters in sand pits for hours, sucking sand into the engines, rotor blades, everything. And the lab took samples from all the lube boxes and tested, tested, tested. We go to where we were pretty good at predicting a transmission failure. But the point of all this was that all those transmissions, etc used synthetics for lubricant, not Dino oil.

So this sythetic lubs thing has been long in coming, and that kind of testing proves the point. All of your jet aircraft tooday, use synthetic lubricants due to their stability and protection from wear. the technology has proven itself so far as synthetics are concerned. Were it not for the fact I already have so many miles on my engine since overhaul, I would switch to a synthetic oil for it as well.

John Rodgers\ 88 GL Driver