Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:16:06 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Buying Vehicles off E-bay Re: The Story Of The eBay Westy

In a message dated 3/18/03 8:00:57 AM Pacific Standard Time, vw4x4@FYI.NET writes:

<< Very good lesson learned here. "Would I buy another vehicle off eBay? NO!" Very well put. Simple and to the point. I just can't see being able to check everything on a vehicle that needs inspected over E-bay. >>

I've sold a Syncro on Ebay. In my auction I offered to have the vehicle available for independent mechanic's inspections or personal inspection by potential Buyers. In my Syncro sale, things did eventually go wrong. I made corrections to the vehicle despite having already disclosed those defects in the auction. The Buyer missed that in the description. I wanted thingds to remain as smooth as possible. Then months later the van blew a headgasket. That one was a bit out of my control and too expensive to assist with. There was no evidence of any leaks when I put the van up for sale. I did offer some referrals to a shop which will discount repairs and conversions in my area. Never did hear back from the buyer.

I have bought several vehicles online sight unseen as well. It all depends on who I'm buying a vehicle from and for how much. I once made a mistake on trying to buy from a listmember who originally posted on Ebay. I was willing to send full payment prior to delivery as this party is a well established listmember. I booked my flight to pick-up the vehicle only to find out at the last minute that this person had removed certain critical items from the vehicle. I canceled the flight and the sale.

Moral of the story? Don't discount online purchases. Just be careful. And it's not just Ebay sellers you have to watch out for. Exercise common sense.

BenT