Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:54:02 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: no oil pressure, new engine, need help!
Comments: To: flub@adelphia.net

It seems there are as many different engine-break-in-rituals as there are ... something plentiful. I wonder if there truly is any one method that is better than others. ----------------------- Clip ---------------------- The method I mention is right from the Tom Wilson Book "How to rebuild your Air Cooled Volkswagen Engine". The rush break-in is simply to seat the rings in a hurry. There isn't any reason you couldn't just put the vehicle to normal use and skip the break-in. I prefer to get the bulk of the iron from the rings and cylinders flushed out in the first twenty minutes and a good portion more in the next 200 or so miles. I'm sure that there are many scientific explanations for the 20 minute break-in but I've build a fair number of engines and you'd be surprised how much iron comes out with the first oil and filter change. It just stands to reason that if its in your recycling barrel it isn't still in your engine eating your engine bearings.

Stan Wilder

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com