Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:16:35 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: everybody knows them to be high maintenance

I think we've been through this a few times before. Everybody's experience is different. In the 5 years that I owned my '96 Honda Civic, I spent $2,100 on it; all of it routine maintenance, which includes tires. To be fair, I only ran the speedo up to about 85K miles. With my '87 Vanagon, which I've had now for 4 years and which now has almost 140K miles on it, I had to initially plop down a huge chunk of change on the drivetrain because of damage caused by the inexperienced PO. Since that time, I've spent probably about $4,000 on it, which I think is perfectly reasonable for a vehicle that old with that many miles on it. The thing that bothers me most about Vanagon maintenance isn't the amount of it that I have to do, nor the amount of money that I spend, but the number of part failures that have been catastrophic, i.e., I weren't going nowhere when they broke. The only things that have ever broken in ALL of the other vehicles that I've owned and left me stranded were things like dead batteries, total brake failure, and dead starter/alternators. Even when my clutch linkage broke completely in my '59 Ford F100 truck with 226K miles on it, I was still able to drive it to a shop to get it fixed. The Vanagon has its own peculiar set of problems that seem to me to be somewhat different than many other vehicles. On mine the things that left me completely stranded were a distributor that worked its way loose and jumped timing (sure, if I had thought such a thing could happen, I could have probably fixed that and been on my way), the ECU died, and the axles broke (or rather, the studs on the ends of the axles). Not to say that the Vanagon is more problem prone; the fact that I've seen very few such problems on other vehicles I've owned is more likely due to the fact that I've owned very few vehicles (other than my truck) with such high mileage.

BTW, in my neck of the woods, the German parts seem to me to be more expensive, though I haven't done an item-by-item comparison. Regularly scheduled maintenance required per the owner's manual is almost twice as expensive for my VWs as it is for my Hondas. This I have done a direct comparison of. Of course, I've also pretty much established beyond a shadow of a doubt in my mind that my local VW dealership's service department is anything but competent.

Yet another country heard from yet again, Marc Perdue