Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:11:28 -0600
From:         Fredrich Hesterberg <FredsVW@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: everybody knows them to be high maintenance
Comments: To: Chuck Mathis <cmathis@HOUSTON.RR.COM>

But the question is this. How often do you use Honda car ? I think it is your everday vehicle, and the Van is just a now and then thing so not as much problems. It is a well known thing the Japanese machines go much longer the the normal vehicle, with on time maintenence. The trouble with the Vanagon comes from is it's horsepower to weight ratio which is not good and very low. The engine's not efficiant for what it is expected to do and at normal highway speed and is at three quarters of it maxium RPM at 65 MPH. This is big problem and I am not sure how they last as long as they do. And the parts for the Honda engine and the VW are close in price. Give me Chevy 235-250 straight 6 last forever, parts cheap for miles driven.

Fred

E-mail message

My '95 Accord is in the shop for the second major repair in the past 12 months. The mileage on the Accord is the same as my '85 Westy. Over the past year and a half I have spent about $900 on the VW -- new water pump, thermostat, brake fluid, coolant, front end alignment, front tires, new plugs and oil changes. The van is low mileage at just over 70K miles. The Accord V6 which is also low mileage at 72K miles has easily cost me three times that in less than a year -- new master cylinder, new right half shaft assembly (Honda doesn't replace CV boots or individual joints they do entire half shaft assemblies), a/c overhaul, scheduled maintenance and oil changes. I also spent $400 on new tires for the Honda. Low cost, dependable Hondas are a myth. Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo' '95 Honda Accord V6 - For Sale or trade for a nice Carat on 3/18/03 6:14 PM, Automatic digest processor at LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM wrote: Date:   Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:25:48 -0500 From:   David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US> Subject: Re: everybody knows them to be high maintenance gary hradek wrote: Sure it cost more to maintain than a honda civic Obviously you've never priced Honda Civic parts. ;) ------------------------------ Date:   Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:36:11 -0800 From:   gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM> Subject: Re: everybody knows them to be high maintenance David, A lot of hondas go 2000k with much in parts but I agree honda parts are not cheap. gary --- David Brodbeck <gull@gull.us> wrote: gary hradek wrote: Sure it cost more to maintain than a honda civic Obviously you've never priced Honda Civic parts. ;)

Fred