Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:41:40 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Speaking of head gaskets
Comments: cc: ecarroll@MAINE.RR.COM

Ed, It is safe to use common sense here. The fit that seems to determine the torque amount is that which fits the head to the cylinder with the mating metal ring. The rubber has no impact on this limit. This is very different from the old gaskets that fit on engines I have done in the past. It is my thinking that to retorque the engine does more harm than good. If you did it right than your job is done. I believe mark has a different problem. It is hard to believe that the pinched fit of the rubber to the lower portion of the engine could fail so many times at that same point unless thee head is not being torued down fully or perhaps properly. I am sure there must be several ways this can happen. For Marks sake I hope it is discovered soon. I do not think looking at pits points to the problem for mark. Mark, if your reading this I hope you share your solution and don't get discourgaed. gary Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:19:09 -0500 From: Ed Carroll <ecarroll@MAINE.RR.COM> Subject: Speaking of head gaskets

I was interested to read the thread of Mark Vermillion's head gasket = problems recently, since it was a pretty good thread with lots of tips = about surface prep and gasket/head reassembly. Too bad I was away from = e-mail and on my back in the garage for three days reassembling the = gaskets and heads, or I might have learned something valuable.

I was bummed to see Boston Bob's brief treatise on deburring the water = jacket and putting sealant on the inside of the gasket as well. Somehow = I had missed this in my research, and I paused for quite a while when I = had everything clean and ready to reassemble, searched my notes from the = list, read the Bentley and Haynes and the magazine article from the = Vanagon.com site, and decided that while it seemed like common sense I = would not put sealant on the inside. None of the sources said to, so I = went by the books. (Now I see from Ben Huot's site that he says VW says = to use sealant on the inside.)

I inspected the water jacket thoroughly, cleaned the mating surface with = brake cleaner and used Scotch-Brite and then fine emory cloth. There was = one divot on a jacket surface that looked like a little tool whack from = some earlier repair work. More of a dimple really, and I generally did = not want to work the jackets over too hard as I was concerned that = messing with them might make them worse than I found them. There was no = other pitting.

The heads themselves had minor pitting, and I smoothed a thin coat of JB = Weld over them, sanded them smooth and re-cleaned any residue. Since the = engine is in the van and the van is on stands, it was a PITA working at = 3/4's arm's length over my head on my back, yet since I saw no way to = put sealant on the head side of the gasket before putting it in place = without making a mess of the sealant bead, I had to put the gaskets in = place and do my best to put the black silicone that came with my gasket = kit on neatly. A little work with a popscicle stick and I was confident = that it was a continuous bead without any great danger of splooging = inward.

The head that needed the most prep work had an exisiting gasket with a = semi-obvious inch and a half crack of dried out fatigue that went all = the way through, but would only open to daylight if you pried the edges = of the inner seal apart a little. The most amazing thing was to find = that one of the aluminum cylinder seals inside that head had become = weirdly distorted at some point. It was still flat and had apparently = worked as a seal to the cylinder, but it was out of round by about 3/8 = inch -- like an "O" with a flat spot. Its shape was clearly marked by = the carbon deposit on the combustion chamber portion of the head, though = there was no sign that the cylinder had been misfiring or even leaking = there, and the van didn't run like it had caused any real problem. The = head cleaned up fine, the cylinder was fine, and the new rings seated = just fine. There was no real corrosion or pitting inside the rim in the = heads.

So here's a question: The heads are on, and after 100 or so turns around = the tightening sequence I still need to check the final torque once more = before continuing the reassembly. Should I take them off to re-check the = water jackets and put sealant on the inside? I think not, of course, = unless there is someone out there vehement about the importance of goop = as lube ...

Ed Carroll 87 Weekender