Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:41:11 -0500
From:         Anthony Hecht <lists@SLAPNOSE.COM>
Subject:      Re: still not starting..
Comments: To: al jordans <aljordans@attbi.com>

Thanks for the replies..

Here's the update: The spark plugs are sparking, very nicely I might add, since the addition of a brand new coil. The gap is .027". The compression is 130psi in all cylinders.

Now this ditributor/timing thing intrigues me. It's quite likely that the ditributor was bumped and/or rotated, since it's been installed in an entirely new engine, I can't be sure it's exactly the same. How can I adjust the timing before the engine has started for the first time? Is there an easy way to trial-and-error this?

Oh, and the plug wires are in the right order, I checked the photo of the old engine before it was removed for reference.

I have not yet pulled an injector to check for a good pattern, I was hoping not to have to do this. I'm pretty sure gas is getting in there, though, I can smell it. But I can't speak to the pattern. The injectors were working fine when they were on the old engine though. If I do pull them, should I check all four?

Thanks again everybody..

Anthony '80 Camper "Badunkadunk" http://travelinvan.com <http://travelinvan.com/>

-----Original Message----- From: al jordans [mailto:aljordans@attbi.com] Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 6:16 PM To: Anthony Hecht Subject: Re: still not starting..

Hi, I assume you mean spark plugs are sparking?....What kind of gap are you running?

It's kind of a theorem that if you have spark and you have gas, it pretty much has to run, unless you heard expensive noises when it shut down. Did you bump the distributor (is it tightened down?) and/or rotate it (changing the timing) in your playing?... if the spark doesn't hit a compressed gas charge, not too much happens.

Did you check the compression? The popping could mean a plug firing into the exhaust cycle...

Good luck alj