Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:23:59 -0800
From:         Steve Delanty <laurasdog@WEIRDSTUFFWEMAKE.COM>
Subject:      Re: upgrading an alternator? headlights 85'

Tracy wrote:

>I was reading through the new issue of VW Trends and noticed the article >on upgrading a Bug's alternator for more power. Having a powerful radio >and other things hooked up all the time, I was wondering if anyone might >know if there are more powerful alternators available for our Busses. I do >notice that my dash lights go dimmer sometimes depending on what I turn >on. For example if I turn on the heater blower while lights are on the >dash lights will dim a slight bit. Thats just one example.

The Bosch 90 amp alternator woks fine. The problem is the internal voltage regulator *really* sucks. It's lazy and causes charging voltage to be quite low. It also senses the voltage at the alternator instead of at the battery, so when you turn on lights and accessories the voltage drops even lower. It sucks... BTDT.

I fixed mine by hacking out the stock internal regulator and wiring up a Ford regulator. I also ran an extra wire from the positive post of the battery to the regulator so that the voltage is sensed at the battery instead of at the alternator.

It works GREAT and this change alone will make your headlights quite noticeably brighter.

This seems to be a common conversion amongst Volvo owners. There are several sites devoted to installing a Ford regulator on the Bosch alternator. Here's one: http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~tcroy/fordregulator.htm

A Google search will turn up others. Pmail me if I can help. It's definitely a worthy upgrade.

>Oh one other thing while I'm posting, I notice that my headlights kinda >suck. If I bought better or brighter bulbs would that make a difference? I >dunno if anyone has had any expierence with that? Probably.

"Kinda suck"??? Man, yours must be way better than mine were! There was no "kinda" about it... TOTALLY suck was more like it!

The stock wiring and headlight switch causes a very large voltage drop, so the bulbs are starved for power.

There's a very common fix involving a couple of relays and a bit of rewiring that fixes this problem. Search the archives for info. I understand you can even buy a "relay kit" from the usual vendors.

I did the relay upgrade on mine, and upgraded the wire size while I was at it and now I can see! What an amazing difference it makes, even with the stock bulbs.

Do NOT put bigger bulbs in until you have done the relay upgrade. The extra current draw will cook the headlight switch and leave you in the dark. Besides, higher wattage bulbs draw more current which just increases the voltage drop across the inadequate switch and wire and the new bulbs will see even less voltage than the old ones.

Do the headlight relay mods and change to an external Ford regulator for the charging system and then decide if you still need brighter bulbs. You'll be amazed at the difference!

Steve