Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:36:31 -0800
From:         Mark Belanger <belanger@FLUID.COM>
Subject:      Re: Spring Cleaning an Air-cooled Motor
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1@juno.com>

Well, it was a more tongue-in-cheek response, but you've succeeded in scaring me straight. I just have never heard of this kind of trouble with either my old Jeep or my old Bronco.

Jesus... Are there any parts made of nitroglycerin just to complete the package?

-M "From Now On Scrubbing Bubbles" B

Stan Wilder wrote: > What are these Vanagon engine fires you speak of? Your world frightens > and confuses me... -MB > -------------------------- Clip --------------------- > I'm guessing that you have posed a serious question. > Vanagon and Air Cooled Bus engine fires are often started from residual > oil that drips and then cooks down into a tar like substance. > Older engines often have cylinder head leaks, carbs backfire, exhaust > might leak and loose piston to cylinders can cause some fuel blow by into > the oil pan. > Oil that drips can have small amounts of fuel in it. > The fuel is mostly boiled off by engine heat but leaking injectors or bad > float seats can put new supplies in the fuel each time you turn your > engine off. > Engines that 'pop-back' from poor timing, bad points, leaking hoses > produce a fireball that can ignite any oil that has enough fuel in it for > a flash. > I consider fuel line leaks to be the most common cause of Air Cooled or > Waser Boxer engine fires. It is best to keep the fuel lines clean of oil > buildup and inspect them often. > I just theorize that the less fuel there is for a fire the less chance > there is for a fire and this spells clean to me. > Engine fires have long been the most feared event for Air Cooled engines > because in early models the Magnesium Crank Case can ignite. With later > Type IV 2000cc engines the fan shroud is magnesium and it can ignite, I > tend to think the engine fan is magnesium too (from seeing them burned or > melted). At any rate a magnesium fire is near impossible to extinguish. > On 47-79 busses the gas tank is right there with the engine and poses the > opportunity for a fair sized explosion that will certainly total your > bus. > The one hour required each year to give your engine a proper cleaning is > cheap insurance. > > Stan Wilder > 1983 Air Cooled Westfalia > > ________________________________________________________________ > Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today > Only $9.95 per month! > Visit www.juno.com