Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Mar 2003 07:02:47 EST
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      WTB: Healight connector (2) (they burned???)
Comments: cc: fryday@CALIFORNIA.COM

In a message dated 3/20/2003 11:10:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

> Looking for two white plastic main headlight connectors (they plug into the > bulb) for my '87 Westy. > Both of them seem to have melted/burned at one of the leads. Can anyone > tell me why this happened? > Oh, btw, the bulbs are the blue xenon bulbs. Could they be drawing too much > power? The wires seem > fine, so I don't know... >

Philippe, you need to install relays in your headlight system. See my <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/hdltrela.htm">Vanagon Headlamp Relay Upgrade</A> webpage for complete details. The system is fragile in its OEM condition and upgrading to more powerful bulbs will certainly make most of the system have a meltdown. For this reason alone it is wise to install the relays. The OEM wiring is adequate to handle the power and amperage but the switches and plugs are not. You will need to change those melted headlight plugs and this is not easy. If you can get the wire terminals removed from the plastic blocs and they are in good condition then you can get new or used blocs and use them that way. Just make sure the wires are well attached to the metal terminal ends, no fraying, the terminal ends need to bright and clean, then coat the terminal ends with dielectric grease before inserting them in the blocs. Also coat the bulb terminals with the dielectric grease before plugging the socket on the bulb. If your terminal ends are toast then you can find new terminal ends but it is not easy. The three tiny ones on the main headlight are hard to locate. The larger ones for the driving lights are more readily available. See you local quality auto parts store for these. The most probable cause for the melted blocs and fried wires at the bulb connection is electrical arching due to corroded or insufficient electrical contact between the terminal end and the wire or the terminal end and the bulb pin.

Cheers

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm">BusFusion</A> a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 12 ~ 15, 2003 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: <A HREF="http://www.vanagon.com/">Vanagon List</A>, <A HREF="http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/">LiMBO</A>, <A HREF="http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/">IWCCC</A> & <A HREF="http://www.ccvwc.ca/">CCVWC</A> Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm">STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers</A>   <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html">Frank Condelli & Associates</A> or http://frankcondelli.com