Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:30:17 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Peter Russek Pocket Mechanic

I purchased one of these manuals for my 1983 diesel Westy, and would have to place it somewhere between the Haynes and the Bentley manuals.

The Russek certainly offers more step-by-step text than the Bentley, to walk one through a given procedure, but seems slightly inferior to the Haynes in this regard. The Russek manual may have a little more technical data and specs than does the Haynes. The Russek also seems to have replaced the Bentley's nice airbrushed photos and line illustrations with itchy-n-scratchy drawings done with a dull felt-tip marker. It is plain to see that these bad drawings were TRACED over the VW photos found in the Bentley (both Bentley and Russek evidently purchased the photo rights from VW).

I suggest you instead round out your diesel Westy library with the Haynes manual for the Rabbit diesel. If I could somehow merge the Engine chapter from this manual with the non-Engine chapters from my '83 air-cooled Vanagon manual ... Maybe a utility knife and some duct tape.