Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:52:28 -0800
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: cheap shipping company,
              Mass to SF.  Engine Rebuild Question too
Comments: To: Craig Oda <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO>

Hey Craig,

I am just ahead of you on the rebuild process (everything completely dissasembled and tagged).

Yes, you will need snap ring pliers - this part of the process actually gave my buddy and i a bit of a problem. Just tested patience, that's all. Think of the game "operation".

Secondly, leave the flywheel on until the end, but make sure you can get it loose now (those 10mm bolts are on tight). I used it to turn the pistons to the appropriate locations.

Thirdly, i made a little tool to remove the piston pins. Didn't have to worry about any burrs on the pistons, and they pulled right out. Basically it was a tube on the accessible side of the piston, and a piece of threadstock going through the pin that ancored to the inaccessible part. Get a washer, and another nut, and just screw the thing out. I can take a picture of mine and send it to you, if you have trouble pulling yours out.

Good luck... it is pretty fun, isn't it? :-)

-Damon

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) '65 Kharma Ghia (Dharma)