Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Mar 2003 22:13:34 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Re: part # for fiberglass side skirt Jack

About a year ago I discovered that the scissors jack that the PO of my 91 GL had left me was not up to the task. I was about to buy a jack from a list member so I posed the question to the list: "Are all vanagon jacks the same?" About 6 people answered saying " sure, no problem, yep, all the same!" Fortunately the jack that I bought (thanks Rob) was from another late model GL and I got the right type. When I picked up an extra from a junkyard last summer, I discovered that there are actually two types.

Larry A.

JordanVw@AOL.COM wrote: > > > > > i posted this some time ago.. lots of people are upgrading to the full > > side > > skirt/rocker trim body cladding kit that was on the '88 up wolfy/carats and > > the '90-91 GL's. > > if you do - DONT FORGET TO GET THE JACK!! the jacks for the vans with the > > full bodykit - side rocker mouldings, have SPECIAL jacks. the arm that > > sticks into the jack hole on the van is rounded all the way up to the hinge > > point - wheras the regular vanagon jacks have it partially rounded, then it > > goes square. > > if you try to use a stock jack on a van that you added the side fiberglass > > panels to, it wont fit into the hole, and you will: A) bust up your > > fiberglass, B) bend your jack hole because its not in all the way, and C) > > the > > van will most likely fall off the jack (a tad dangerous) > > i had this experience w/ my 84 wolfy which i added the full fiberglass > > skirting kit to. luckily i saw what was going to happen, and fortunately > > also > > had a bottle jack under my back seat. if i had been in a emergency > > situation > > where i needed to change a tire, away from home, i would have had to remove > > the fiberglass side panels just to use the jack (big pain) or have damaged > > the van. > > at any rate i may have a few of these jacks FS (limited quanity) they are > > from '88 up wolfy/carats or '90-'91 GL's if you need them. > > > > > > the part # is 255 011 031A for the jack for the vanagons w/ fiberglass side > skirts. > ps, it's NLA from the dealer. > > ps, anyone watching CNN now? geez.. > chris