Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Mar 2003 02:29:20 -0800
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: inflate tires up to max pres?
Comments: To: Will Stiefel <will.stiefel@AUTODESK.COM>
Comments: cc: Wolfsburg Campers <wolfsburg_campers@yahoogroups.com>

The tire pressures shown in the door jamb are for the tires that originally came with the van. If your tires match the specifications shown in the door jamb exactly, then you can use those pressures.

Tires are load rated at a specific air pressure, sometimes different tire manufacturers require different pressures to obtain the same load rating on the same tire size. The pressure numbers provided in the door jamb directly relate to the amount of air pressure required for that particular tire to meet the GVWR at that wheel position. On a Vanagon, the front axle allows for less GVWR than the rear, so the tire pressure required to support the front load will also be less.

I had posted this to the list back on 9/02: There is a formula for calculating the air pressure of a non-standard sized/load rated tire using the tire pressure recommendations on the sticker in the door jamb. Since Vanagons have different pressure recommendations front and rear, you need to use the formula twice. Also, tire pressure recommendations aren't the same for all Vanagon models, use the info from the sticker in your van.

It is as follows: [Original Tires Max Load Rating] * [Sticker’s Recommended P.S.I.] / [Original Tires Max P.S.I.] * [New Tires Max P.S.I.] / [New Tires Max Load Rating]

The tire manufacturer should be able to provide you with a load rating vs tire pressure chart also for your particular tire.

<http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0209D&L=vanagon&P=R10340>

These are the numbers that I use for my tires: Original Tire - Load rating "C" or 1,433lbs @ 48 psi MAX New Tire - Load rating "96" or 1,609 lbs @ 44 psi MAX

Recommended Original Pressure, 39 psi Front, 48 psi Rear

Calculated Pressure for my tires, 33 psi Front, 40 psi Rear

If I assume that your Yoko's are rated 1,850 lbs @ 65 psi MAX, the calculated pressures are 41 psi Front, 50 psi Rear.

Good luck,