Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:31:13 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Kristin Laurite
Comments: To: al_knoll@PACBELL.NET

I've visited the Kristin site about three times. I'm thinking it was just bum luck and time and circumstance. Anytime you are parked or parked and sleeping in a strange location you can consider yourself in danger. The well lighted Wal Mart parking lots is a better choice than most because the police cruise the businesses and strip centers. I very seldom if ever sleep in Roadside Rest Stops, mostly because of the heavy Diesel Truck Traffic that just seems to be continuous. I have slept at Truck Stops on the front side under the big signs. I've also slept in the front parking area of Motels along the highway. It might sound strange but I've visited with Roadside Park attendants that collect the trash, pick up the loose paper and recycle aluminum cans and they tell me that a lot of things requiring police action happen at roadside rest stops. I've been approached many times at Roadside Rest Stops by someone wanting gas money, jump starts or a ride. Many of them are very aggressive to get their way and I can see that an innocent person is more easily victimized than someone with my street savvy. Not to start flames but most of the people I see sleeping at Roadside Rest stops are down and outers or diesel truck drivers killing a few hours to better schedule through city traffic better. Most Texas Rest Stops have a service road on the back side, you can walk to the service road but there aren't any roads to get a car through. It might very well be someome from a local town that approaches you and not even another traveler.

Stan Wilder

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 11:54:23 -0800 pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET> writes: > That was a very sad event. We should learn from this that there are > dangers. I noted on the site that they have CLOSED some of the > roadside > rests because of Kristin's murder. I also noted that the site folks > are > glad that no one else will become a victim since the roadside rests > are > being closed. I wonder when they will close new york, chicago, > houston, > philadelphia, oakland, tel aviv, ...because of a tragic act of > murder. > Makes no sense to me. Must be some other agenda. Kristin's murder > was > indeed tragic but the reactions shown on the site are irrational, > perhaps > justifiably so perhaps not > > p > >

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com