Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Mar 2003 09:00:18 -0500
From:         Vanagon man <vgonman@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: lifters for new engine?
Comments: To: Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>

Mechanical, but you have to use a mechanical cam and pushrods along with the lifters.

The hydraulics are not what they are cracked up to be.

Go to www.theshoptalkforums.com

Search on type 4 forum..Jake Raby, a respected type 4 builder really gets into this.

I have worked on many, many of these vans in the last few years, and all are the same..if you let them sit for a period of time, the lifters lose pump, and they rattle.........after a while these lifters get old, and some bleed down easier than others...........

Also, there is the following of whose advice when it comes to adjusting the hydraulic lifters.........Stan's, Boston Bob's, the old Bentley, the new Bentley, listees that do it a variety of different ways, too.

With mechanical, .006 and you are done, check them when you change the oil. No more worries.

I can say this, for I have rebuilt my last type 4 motor with hydraulic lifters. I only use mechanical from here on out.

Try to sell your van and explain to the customer that it is just a lifter and it will quiet down in a little while. Scares a lot of folks away.

Adam P 81 Westy "The Brick " 70 Single Cab "Whitey" 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg 1976 Transporter (New CA bus) 1974 412 "Goldmember" Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Damon Campbell" <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 9:33 PM Subject: lifters for new engine?