Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Mar 2003 17:56:55 -0600
From:         Chuck Hill <hilltech@NETINS.NET>
Subject:      Trips to Germany

The wife and I just got back from a nice two week trip to Germany this Thursday evening, and I thought I would give out some information for those of you who are interested.

The very first thing that comes up always is the exchange rate. Last year, when we went, also in March, the rate was $0.85 to the Euro. This year it was $1.10 to the Euro. So skimp a little here and there, but don't let it change your plans.

I tried to rent a Westy through Flo, but he didn't come through, though he said twice that he might be able to arrange this for me. I guess don't count on it.

Somebody inquired about what "VW" things to see. The biggest and best is Wolfsburg, the home of it all, with the incredible Autostadt complex. It's just simply the best in the world. You can do a "virtual visit" on the net at the VW website. We visited it last year, and this year visited the Audi plant in Neckarsulm. What you notice, visiting different plants, is that assembly techniques are pretty much the same, with the same brand of robots doing the shuffling about and spot welding. I did notice two places being brazed at the front of the windshield being brazed the good old fashioned way by the hand of somebody skilled at the Audi plant. The tour guide didn't want to talk about it.

The Hannover plant, where our Vans came to life, has not had tours for the last year, while model change has been taking place. The new retro-van had better be a success. We did look at the new "Touran", based on the Golf floor pan, and It looks good to me. The same size as the older Chrysler Minivan, but four doors and a tailgate. The choice of engines, and the quality would make it sell well here, IMHO.

We tried to visit the Westfalia plant in Wiedenbruck, but you have to have an advance reservation. They seem to have very few tours going through, and since it now belongs to Mercedes, they aren't too anxious to please a Volkswagen customer. From what I saw, they were mostly running a bunch of Opel vans through for commercial use. Plumbers trucks, etc.

Kharman works in Osnabruck is pretty much the same deal.

There are fewer and fewer of our "T3" vans on the road each year. In fact what I see the most of are the DOKA trucks. The T4 has been around for ten years now, and there are lots. And there are lots of similar vehicles from competing firms. Mercedes, in particular, has a really huge range of vans/trucks. I got a chance to look at a "James Cook" Mercedes camper, and drooled a bit.

I really do think the most loyal customer group for VW is right here in the USA, and that we'll be driving the vans far longer than anyone else for several reasons. So take good care of yours, and it will do a good job for you. There won't be another one made as good as what we've got now!

The diversity of Europe is great, from the seashore to the Alpine mountains, from the absolute confusion in some countries, to the strict order in others, the incredible variety and excellence of the food, ---I love it!! I thinks most of us would enjoy the trip.

We take our big vacation trip in March because of work schedules-my wife is a college counselor, and I am a dirt farmer in Iowa. The end of the month is not a bad time to travel Europe. It's warm enough to be comfortable, the spring flowers are out, the grass is green, etc. And it's the lowest point of the tourist season. The hotels are really glad to see you walk in the door, have off-season rates, and there's no searching for a room at the inn, as is the case in July & August.

Regarding renting a camper. With the cost of fuel and hotels, and the difference in mileage between a small car and a Westy or something similar, if it's only two people, it's about equal, and you and your wife will like a hot shower in your room better than what's at a campsite. Campsites, by the way, mostly don't open until April, though some of the super-big ones never close.

Chuck Hill