Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Mar 2003 21:47:53 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: lifters for new engine? - and increased stroke
Comments: To: Wolfvan88@AOL.COM

I often visit a crankshaft shop that builds all types of high performance engines and modifies parts. You'd be surprised how many engine blocks, rods, cranks, heads I see there that have been literally polished. When I say polished I mean a jewelry quality polish job. Many people have their rods lightened and heat treated before polishing. I've see wrist pins that are taper cut interior for lightening. You just wouldn't believe some of the modifications some people undertake on their engines. I look at some of the parts and think "Overkill" but everybody has a guru telling them the latest trick to get into the winners circle.

Stan Wilder

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:30:21 EST Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM> writes: > You can go to different rods with Porsche journals. Offset grind the > crank > to the match journal size, then get some custom pistons made. > > The are several companies that make pistons for the WBX. > > <A HREF="http://www.jepistons.com">http://www.jepistons.com</A> > > Go to > <A > HREF="http://www.shoptalkforums.com/">http://www.shoptalkforums.com/</A> > > http://www.shoptalkforums.com/bbs/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics& > forum=Wasserboxer/Oxyboxer+Type+V+Forum&number=37&DaysPrune=&LastLogin= > > > Use a cam with a small increase in lift and duration, WebCam built > mine. > Took me over two months and many calls to persuade them to give me a > cam > other than stock... The results: runs SMOOTHLY from 1500 RPM to > 5800 rpm ... > no hesitations, just smooth. Pulls up all but steep hills in fifth > at 55 mph > turning 2800 rpm, even with a load. > > When you have your crank work done get the crank counterweighted! > I would add counter weights to the crank. There are those that > disagree, but > they are wrong (Why do they have to line-bore pounded out case > journals?). > > When you move the center of rotation of the big end of the rods > further out, > the force will increase and cause the crank to flex more. > > The benefit of having the weight: Keeping rods in perfect alignment > with the > crank, even oil film across the journals, reducing/eliminating crank > flexing, > increase power, enables you to lighten the flywheel for faster > acceleration, > etc... It is worth the extra $150 or so bucks. You just have to > weight a few > weeks though. > > Also get all the rotating parts balanced as one assembly. If you > have the > money, get two clutch pressure plates balanced. That way when you > need to > replace the clutch, you will have one already balanced to your > engine. > > There are 95 mm BB pistons out there for the WBX. > > Ceramic coat the sealing surfaces on the head to eliminate the > corrosion > problem. > And all that exhaust heat touches. The engine compartment temps are > also > reduced, increasing life of rubber parts. > > Robert > >

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com