Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:13:17 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: hesitation from a stop and replacing afm

Gary,

What year van is this? I've had rather minor idle issues with my '87 Westy that appear related to the weather. In the winter, it idles up and down and sometimes winds up idling at 1200-1600 RPMs after a 20-30 minute drive. Now that it's warmed up, when I get in to drive home at the end of the day, it hesitates badly when I first start out. It doesn't stall, but having no little or no power when you need it is very disconcerting to say the least.

Here's what I've done to mine: Replaced idle control unit, thoroughly cleaned and tested the idle stabilizer valve, new air filter, plugs, distributor cap, plug wires. I have a new O2 sensor, but haven't replaced it because the gasket in my exhaust pipe just before the O2 sensor leaks and I thought this may be giving the sensor faulty readings. Replacing that pipe with a stainless one and replacing the gasket is next on the list, then perhaps the O2 sensor.

Thanks for any words of wisdom, Marc Perdue