Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:36:34 -0800
From:         Steven Dodson <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Special Thanks...

Dear List Members,

I wanted to extend my thanks and appreciation to all those (too many to list) who were instrumental in guiding me through the problems I've had with my Vanagon since I bought it last June.

It started with an Arcata, CA mechanic who did my pre-purchase inspection (or failed to), said it needed a new CAT and muffler, after which they blew my ECU looking for the (nonexistent) electrical problem that was causing it to continue to fail smog; when it was really a burnt valve, bad rings and injectors. Of coarse they offered to fix all these things, at my cost. What a crock!

It was at this point that I sought after a higher power and found the Vanagon List. It was with the help of the List Members and my previous automotive experience, that I was able to discover what was wrong and avoid needlessly shelling out thousands of dollars to a crooked mechanic.

This Vanagon community has been there for those of us in need of advice from VW veterans and those with varying opinions. Thank you for being there for us newbies and putting up with us, even when we think we know it all. Also wanted to thank those who started and maintain the List, hats off to you all.

Well, I just finished rebuilding Cyls 3-4 and passed first smog inspection with flying colors. Inga is back on the road and running strong! Just in time to drive to Portland area to pick up a TDI engine for mid-summer conversion.

The adventure continues...

-Steven Dodson Kneeland, CA "Inga" the 87 Syncro