Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:14:50 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: toyota 2C diesel engine

>Anyone know about the 2C toyota diesel engine? Does it fit in the >vanagon and anyone ever made that conversion or heard of anybody >that's done it? Apparently that there is a kit for it in south >africa. I wonder if it fit under the lid without modification to >your floor or engine cover?

Yes, they are great engines, 2 liters... the 1C is a 1.8, 3C is 2.2 (same block). 2Cs & 3Cs are available as turbos too. Early 2Cs had the vacuum pump on the alternator, and for taxis running this engine (Coronas/Carinas to 1992) these items were in some demand, as they could give trouble (but ours did up to 600,000km with only one or two failures). The "2CII" has the pump run from the cam. Cambelt replacement interval 120,000km.

The 2C is an SOHC 8-valve crossflow engine, valves inline; though I am told there were identical-appearing demonstrator-only enticers (even Toyota can cheat) with 16 valves, and apparently these really fly. I know of one in an extaxi 89 Corona automatic, but have never actually examined it to see if it's really possible to fit a 16V train (rockers necessary) under that narrow valvecover... I have my doubts.

2Cs are all upright engines (well, they lean slightly toward the exhaust side), and were avilable in FWD/4WD cars and also RWD vans. In cars they are extremely reliable, and give decent economy (34mpg Imp in a town comprised of high & very steel hills, driven flat-out as a taxi)... no, I do NOT believe claims of 30mpg US in a diesel van!! They use far less fuel and perform better than the unreliable 2.0D Nissan Bluebird.

The 1C I think went out of production about late 1991, and Corollas from CE100 all had 2Cs.

The 3C-T (2.2 turbo) is fitted to RWD vans, and also the Estima (Previa to you in the US, in wide-body form), and in the latter vehicle is a flat layout ie the engine lies right down on its side... perfect for the Type 2! They push an Estima along at easily over 160kmh and accelerate it uphill in 4th with a real shove in the back. They can crack heads due to heat buildup, and it is common to fit big-bore exhausts to dump this heat; apparently they do not give trouble if so modified. I haven't checked to see whether they are EFI or belt-driven pump; not exactly easy to see from underneath my wife's Estima!

Diesel Estimas were only sold new in Japan, but are common used imports here in NZ, and are also so imported into England. A complete used engine would cost about (estimated!) $1500US here.

To fit a 2C you'd need to fabricate a sump and oil pickup to lay it down. -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut