Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Mar 2003 06:18:52 -0800
From:         Tracy Bonin <icculus22420@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wiring 2nd Battery Into Non-Westy (sorry)
Comments: To: James V <tornadored@EARTHLINK.NET>

Hi I put the one from the bus depot in mine. Hooked it to the kitchenette I installed instead of a battery. Here it goes: Red wire hook to main battey Brown wire is ground, screw into something metal Black wire goes to the front, pull out the fuse panel, if you have heat under the rear seat then it should be easy, find the X-contact/ load reduction relay, find the wire that has power running to that, splice and wire the black wire to that wire Blue/Red is the power to whatever you want to power, hook it to what you are powering hope this helps, Tracy 85' GL "Ripple" James V <tornadored@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:Well, I apologize to all for bringing this up... but I've been pouring over the archives for the last 2 days with out luck. Lots of info on Westy installs w/ the built-in relay, but couldn't find much for non-westys.

So, I'd like to add a 2nd battery to my 90 Carat to power some very small items while camping (light, cooler, maybe a laptop...) as well as have a backup starter battery.

I plan to use a relay system (I know there are other methods, but I'd rather not go off on that tangent) and would like some direction, instructions, and/or diagram for the installation. I'm considering the Bus Depot Hella Kit, but am also open to making my own...if I knew how to wire it up. I know the kit includes instructions, but it sounds as if they aren't much good to an amateur (me). Maybe someone who did use the kit (non-westy) could fill in the blanks?

The battery will be under the driver seat. I'm still assessing my specific needs regarding the battery, so I'm not too concerned about that at the moment (maybe next week)...just wanna know how to hook it all up.

Any and all info/advice/links/pics/etc on the subject would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

James 90 Carat